Cornerstone OnDemand Announces Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2012 Financial Results
- Record quarterly revenue of $36.4 million, up 63% year-over-year
- Record quarterly non-GAAP revenue of $36.7 million, up 64% year-over-year1
- Record full year revenue of $117.9 million, up 56% year-over-year 2
- Record full year non-GAAP revenue of $119.4 million, up 58% year-over-year 1,2
- Record annual bookings of $154.3 million, up 58% year-over-year1
- Record net cash provided by operating activities of $10.3 million, up from $1.8 million in 2011
- Record full year non-GAAP gross margin of 73.2% 1
- Ended the year with over 1,200 clients and over 10.5 million users 3
SANTA MONICA, Calif. — February 12, 2013 — Learning and talent management software provider Cornerstone OnDemand, Inc. (NASDAQ: CSOD) today announced results for its fourth quarter and fiscal year ended December 31, 2012.
"Through all of the consolidation that took place during 2012, our business continued to excel, and Cornerstone OnDemand is today the clear independent SaaS leader in learning and talent management," said Adam Miller, the Company's President and CEO. "We are extremely proud of what our team was able to accomplish this past year. Our persistent drive to innovate has provided our clients with a best-of-breed, end-to-end talent management solution. With a truly global market opportunity, and our relentless focus on client success, we look forward to continued growth in the future."
Revenue for the fourth quarter of 2012 was $36.4 million, representing a 63% increase compared to the same period in 2011. Non- GAAP revenue for the fourth quarter of 2012 was $36.7 million, representing a 64% increase compared to the same period in 2011.1 Revenue for the full fiscal year 2012 was $117.9 million, representing a 56% increase compared to gross revenue for the full fiscal year 2011.2Non-GAAP revenue for the full fiscal year 2012 was $119.4 million, representing a 58% increase compared to the full fiscal year 2011.1
Bookings, which the Company defines as gross revenue plus the change in deferred revenue for the period, were $56.1 million for the fourth quarter of 2012, representing a 46% increase compared to the same period in 2011. 1 Bookings for the full fiscal year 2012 were $154.3 million, representing a 58% increase compared to the full fiscal year 2011.1 Deferred revenue at December 31, 2012 was $92.3 million, representing a 65% increase compared to the balance at December 31, 2011.
Gross profit for the fourth quarter of 2012 was $25.7 million, representing a 61% year-over-year increase compared to the same period in 2011.
Gross profit for the full fiscal year 2012 was $83.3 million, representing a 54% increase compared to gross profit for the full fiscal year 2011, based on gross revenue.2 Gross margin for the full fiscal year 2012 was 70.7%. On a non-GAAP basis, gross margin for the full fiscal year 2012 was 73.2%.1
The Company's net loss for the fourth quarter of 2012 was $7.4 million, or $0.15 net loss per share. Non-GAAP net loss for the fourth quarter of 2012 was $2.9 million, or $0.06 net loss per share. Net loss for the full fiscal year 2012 was $31.4 million, or $0.63 net loss per share. Non-GAAP net loss for the full fiscal year 2012 was $16.0 million, or $0.32 net loss per share. Non-GAAP net loss is based on non-GAAP revenue and excludes, for the periods in which they are present, stock-based compensation and employer-related payroll taxes, amortization of intangible assets, acquisition costs, amortization of debt discount and issuance costs, early debt retirement expense, change in the fair value of preferred stock warrant liabilities, adjustments to taxes related to acquisition adjustments, and accretion related to preferred stock.1
During the fourth quarter of 2012, net cash provided by operating activities was $14.1 million as compared to $4.9 million in the same period in 2011. For the full fiscal year 2012, net cash provided by operating activities was $10.3 million as compared to $1.8 million for the full fiscal year 2011. At December 31, 2012, the Company's total cash and cash equivalents were $76.4 million and accounts receivable were $47.5 million, yielding a total of approximately $124.0 million.
The Company ended the quarter with over 1,200 clients and over 10.5 million users, representing 53% and 41% year-over-year growth of the Company's client base and users, respectively.3
- Non-GAAP revenue, bookings, non-GAAP net cash provided by operating activities, non-GAAP net loss, non-GAAP net loss per share, non-GAAP gross profit, and non-GAAP gross margin are non-GAAP financial measures. Please see the discussion in the section "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" and the reconciliations at the end of this release. Due to purchase accounting rules applicable to the acquisition of Sonar Limited we completed during the second quarter of 2012, the Company recorded an adjustment of $1.6 million to reduce to fair value the balance of deferred revenue attributable to contracts assumed from Sonar Limited. This fair value adjustment has the impact of reducing the amount of revenue attributable to contracts assumed from Sonar Limited by $0.3 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2012 and $1.4 million for the full fiscal year 2012. Our non-GAAP revenue calculation adds back these fair value adjustments.
- Comparative year-over-year changes of revenue or gross profit uses gross revenue for the full fiscal year 2011. Gross revenue for the full fiscal year 2011 excludes the impact of a non-cash reduction of revenue related to a common stock warrant issued to ADP of $2.5 million. Net revenue and net loss for the full fiscal year 2011 was impacted by this non-cash reduction of revenue.
- Includes contracted clients and active users of any combination of our cloud-based solutions, excluding Cornerstone Small Business Solution, or "CSB".
Quarterly Conference Call
Cornerstone OnDemand will host a conference call to discuss its fourth quarter and fiscal year 2012 results at 2:00 p.m. PST (5:00 p.m. ET) today. A live audio webcast of the conference call, together with detailed financial information, can be accessed through the company's Investor Relations Web site at http://investors.cornerstoneondemand.com/investors/news-and-events/events/default.aspx. The live call can be accessed by dialing (888) 357-3694 (U.S.) or (973) 890-8276 (outside the U.S.) and referencing passcode: 92587407. A replay of the call will also be available at http://investors.cornerstoneondemand.com/investors/news-and-events/events/default.aspx or via telephone until 11:59 p.m. PST on February 16, 2013 by dialing (855) 859-2056 (U.S.) or (404) 537-3406 (outside the U.S.), and referencing passcode: 92587407.
Cornerstone is a premier people development company. We believe people can achieve anything when they have the right development and growth opportunities. We offer organizations the technology, content, expertise and specialized focus to help them realize the potential of their people. Featuring comprehensive recruiting, personalized learning, modern training content, development-driven performance management and holistic employee data management and insights, Cornerstone’s people development solutions are used by approximately 7,000 clients of all sizes, spanning more than 75 million users across over 180 countries and 50+ languages. Learn more at www.cornerstoneondemand.com.