Online guide to Management Strategies for Employers
Effectively managing personnel streamlines operations and improves your bottom line, yet it's perhaps the most complicated part of your job description. When managing employees, set concrete expectations, tailor your style to suite the specific working arrangement of each person, and work to improve productivity while quickly handling attendance and performance issues as they arise. Keep costs down while maintaining attractive packages for qualified personnel and constantly strive to improve workplace satisfaction to attract and retain the best talent in your specific field. At the end of the day, remember that managing people is less about constantly putting out the latest fire and more about creating a long-term plan for overall improved performance and efficiency with quality, continuous training.
- Managing Employees: An Overview – From employee handbooks to dealing with compensation and benefits, this primer covers all of the basics.
- Managing Employees From the Beginning [PDF] – Learn the steps you need to take from the beginning, before you ever place a "help wanted" ad.
- Management for Telecommuting Employees [PDF] – Advances in technology have made it possible for companies to save money with telecommuting positions. Learn how to manage these unique employees from afar.
- Dealing With Flex Employees [PDF] – Flexible working arrangements open up your pool of potential employees, but managing them takes finesse. Learn how here.
- Managing and Developing Employees [PDF] – Understanding your duties as a manager ensures you don't miss a thing. This covers all of the basics in an easy-to-digest format.
- Improve Employee Productivity – Everything that your employees do reflects on you. These seven practices ensure that your employees, and your business, are as productive as possible.
- Performance Evaluations – Learn why performance evaluations are essential and how you can make them as effective as possible.
- A Manager's Guide to Performance Management – Learn how to make a good employee a great one with effective performance management.
- Performance Difficulties – Perhaps the most challenging part of managing people, these quick tips help you work with troubled employees.
- When They Don't Show Up – Dealing with employees who won't show up can be a headache, but these tips make rectifying the issue easier.
- Managing Workplace Stress – How should a manager deal with employees who are stressed? Find out in this article.
- How Much Does an Employee Cost? – Wages and salaries are just the beginning. Managing costs requires that you understand exactly how much your human capital is worth.
- Employee Compensation 101 – Manage the price of salaries and wages by effectively communicating the true cost of an employee's entire benefits package.
- How Low Morale Hurts Your Bottom Line – Company morale starts with the management, and if you aren't doing your job here, you're costing the company money.
- Managing Vs. Cutting Costs – Slashing funds isn't always the best solution. Learn the difference between managing costs and simply cutting expenditures to the bare bones.
- When Cutting Benefits Fails – Understanding that it costs more to hire and train a new employee than to keep an existing one is essential in managing costs. Learn why cuts to employee benefits aren't always the best solution.
- Controlling Healthcare Costs – Healthcare costs quickly get out of hand. Learn how to manage what often seems to be a sinking ship.
- Reduce Waste, Cut Costs – Keep employee benefits stable and competitive while cutting costs effectively in other areas. Learn how to reduce company waste and streamline business practices.
- Cost Accounting Overview [PDF] – Learn how to gather and use cost accounting information to manage your company's funds.
- Stress in the Workplace – Find out how a stressful workplace can end up costing your business more money.
Managing Workplace Satisfaction
- Job Satisfaction and Health Initiatives – Learn how health benefits improve overall job satisfaction.
- Image Discrepancies - Educate clients and customers on what your employees do in order to improve job satisfaction.
- How Workplace Satisfaction Effects Job Performance [PDF] – The research backs it up: happy employees perform well, while those miserable in their positions falter.
- Employee Attitudes [PDF] – Learn what causes attitude issues in employees, and what you can do to manage the situation.
- Indicators of Strong Job Satisfaction [PDF] – Understanding what does and does not improve workplace satisfaction creates a foundation for constructing a strong workforce.
- Managing Employee Satisfaction in the Workplace – Bloomberg BusinessWeek discusses employee satisfaction in this project.
- 7 Ways To Improve Employee Satisfaction – Attitude is important and this article outlines some of the things to look out for and how to improve satisfaction in the workplace.
- What are Ways to Improve Job Satisfaction – Managers can look to the information provided on this resource for ideas on how to improve the satisfaction of their employees.
- The Effects of Conflict Management Styles On Job Satisfaction [PDF] – Find information on how to resolve conflict and the five different employee modes when faced with conflicts.
- Employee Development and Training – When a manager acts as a coach, advisor, appraiser, and agent, he or she creates a foundation for continued learning and improved performance.
- Training New Employees – Starting from scratch with new personnel doesn't have to be overwhelming. These tips make dealing with new hires easier than ever.
- 25 Tips for Employee Training [PDF] – It's all right here, from planning before you hire someone to providing continuous, effective training.
- Training Employees for Success – While understanding the tasks and procedures of a specific position is important, certain training is essential for all employees, whether they work in the mail room or the board room.
- New Employee Orientation – A new employee's first glimpse at the inner workings of a company directly affects how he or she performs on the job. Learn effective orientation tips and how to integrate them with ongoing training efforts.
- Performance Management 101 – Training is a multi-faceted beast. Learn how to determine the type of training your employees need and how to implement it successfully.
- Evaluating Resource Management [PDF] – Ineffective training wastes time and resources. This document, based on years of research, helps you evaluate and improve upon your current program (or learn when you should scrap it entirely).
- Continuous Learning [PDF] – Never stop training. This presentation covers why continuous learning is important in the workplace, and how managers can implement it.
- Developing a Training Program – Create a truly worthwhile training program with input from your employees and by effectively pinpointing the specific needs of your department or business.