Learning How to Manage Stress in the Workplace
Stress affects millions of people. One of the most common forms of stress is that related to our careers and the workplace. In today's economic difficulty, work related stress is even more pronounced than ever before. Worries about whether or not people will be able to keep their job, their health insurance, and even keep their homes, plays a large role in stress, and the possibility of losing a job can be scary. Another word for stress is tension or anxiety. When someone experiences stress, there are many different symptoms and repercussions. Depending on the level and frequency of stress, some of these symptoms can become serious and cause a myriad of problems. Stress affects people both mentally and physically. The heart rate increases, headaches can develop, and often people become irritated much more easily. Individuals who work in high stress or dangerous jobs as well as those who are employed at a place where there is a high pressure environment are often prone to experiencing stress. Work environment, coworker relations, and customer pressures can all contribute to stress at work. Understanding how to manage, minimize, and deal with stress can help people feel more relaxed and react when stressful situations as they arise.
How to Recognize Stress
- Stress in the Workplace – This informative page covers the many different factors that can contribute to stress at work.
- Job Stress – The Cleveland Clinic has some good insight on what to look out for if you think your job is starting to become too stressful, and how you can handle it.
- Stress & Employees – Here are some things that can contribute to stress on the job so that you can be aware of these contributors.
- What Does Stress Really Look Like? – Here are some common symptoms of people who are experiencing work related stress.
- Stress at Work – The CDC offers some insight into stress at work, signs to look for, and ways to handle stress on the job.
- Workplace Stress – This site has a comprehensive look at workplace stress including statistics and much more.
- Are You Experiencing Job Burnout? – Look for some of these signs to see if you or someone you know may be experiencing job burnout.
- 8 Types of Work Related Stress – Read this article for eight different types of stress that can happen to people on the job.
- Stress and Your Health – Stress on the job can contribute to serious health problems later in life if it is not controlled.
- What's on Your Plate? – Some good advice can be found here about how to identify stress as well as how to cope.
- Work Related Stress Symptoms – This is a good list of potential symptoms and signs you may be stressed from work.
- Causes of Work Related Stress – There are many reasons why people feel stressed at work, but here some of the most common causes.
Stress Management Strategies
- A Healthy Career – Here are some things to consider that will determine if you are engaged in a healthy workplace and career.
- Managing Job Stress – This page has some helpful insight into how one can handle a stressful job.
- Tips for Managing Stress – These tips are more geared towards those dealing with the stress of looking for a job, but can helpful to anyone experiencing symptoms.
- Tips for Managing Stress in the Workplace – Here are some helpful tips for both employers and employees when it comes to managing workplace stress.
- Questions and Answers – This website has some helpful questions and answers dedicated to stress at work and how to manage.
- Managing Stress – Read here for some good information on how you can manage your own personal stress.
- 101 Strategies for Coping with Stress – This list has 101 great ways you can reduce stress in your life, whether due to your job or any other factors.
- 6 New Stress Management Strategies – Read this article for six new, effective ways you can cope with stress.
- Coping with Stress at Work – Here are some helpful tips to help you deal with the stresses of work.
- Occupational Health – Here are some simple questions and answers from the World Health Organization relating to stress on the job.
- Managing Work Related Stress – Some more informational tips and advice for handling work related stress can be found here.
Stress Management Resources
- Stress Recess – Use this interactive guide to help you learn how to get a recess from stress.
- Stress and Burn Out – This web page has some very helpful tools for people dealing with stress as well as burn out.
- The American Heart Association – The AHA has some good resources to help people cope with stress, which can have an effect on the heart.
- Relaxation and Stress Management – Counseling centers are an excellent resource to help people deal with how to relax and handle stress.
- Calculate Your Stress Score – Take this online quiz to help you determine your level of stress and what you can do about it.
- Guided Imagery Tools – These audio exercises can help you relax your mind when stressed.
- Online Management Tool – This website is designed to help people cope with work related and other forms of stress.
- How Do You Handle Stress? – This online test will help you determine how you handle stress, and ways you can manage it more effectively.
- Anxiety – This website offers help to everyone dealing with both stress and anxiety.
- Tips from the Experts – Here are 37 different ways to manage stress from experts who deal with stress and anxiety.