Social media is ubiquitous, and companies are using it in many different and innovative ways for enhancing their sales, marketing and customer services. So why is it then that many HR departments still fail to see social media as more than a job board?
Outside of the office, the same HR people happily engage with friends on Facebook, share news and ideas on Twitter, look at pictures on Instagram and send snaps on Snapchat. But when they put their work hat on they seemingly forget why they use social in the way they (and hundreds of millions of other users) do every day, and resort back to just posting jobs (in a boring way) on social media!
Of course there is nothing wrong with job posting, and it's often an effective approach to reaching an audience, but not all of the time. According to LinkedIn, only 12 percent of the working population are actively seeking new employment. So, if all you do is post jobs on your LinkedIn, Twitter or Facebook page, you are consciously ignoring the other 88 percent of the working population who might be interested in hearing more about your company in general.
Creating and sharing interesting content about your company such as employee stories or volunteer days help bring your employer brand to life. It might even trigger people to reach out to you and find out more about your job opportunities. In truth, mixing up your social media feeds with a variety of content will provide more depth and candidate engagement. Here are four ways to expand your social media strategy and engage with new potential candidates.
1) Candidate Sourcing
With people using an average of more than five social networks, sourcing talent via social media makes absolute sense. Branch out from just using LinkedIn and look to sites like Twitter, Facebook and Google+ to search for and engage with prospective talent. Try search tools like Followerwonk to search Twitter bios for keywords and job titles, a clever Chrome browser extension called Intelligence Search that easily searches Facebook and using the search bar at the top of Google+. They will help you identify new talent. If you are looking to build social media pipelines then try Hello Talent. It is a great free tool that allows you to build talent pipelines from many different social networks by using a browser extension.
2) Competitor Monitoring
Social media is a fantastic source of information and data. By using tools like Hootsuite and Tweetdeck, you can monitor the social media activity of your competitors. Both of these tools allow you to set up search columns, where you can enter things like keywords, hashtags, Twitter names and track when any of these are mentioned on sites such as Twitter. You can use the interact or use the insights accordingly.
3) Resources for Candidates
Consider your Facebook page (or Twitter channel) as a real-time customer services channel for you to engage and communicate with both new and existing candidates in the recruitment process. Provide links to your social media pages to candidates at all stages in the process and encourage them to visit the pages and ask questions about any part of the process. You can also share useful information about working for the company, including locations, employees and other relevant news.
4) Live Recruitment Events
Not everyone can attend the many recruitment events happening every month. But by using social media like Twitter, Facebook Live, Instagram and Snapchat, you can easily provide live commentary for these events you attend or host. Real-time video via Facebook Live and interaction via Twitter chats are superb examples of ways to regularly engage with a live audience of potential candidates.
With social media firmly established in our working lives, I question how much more evidence HR departments will need to fully embrace this "new" form of candidate engagement.
Vuoi continuare a imparare? Scopri i nostri prodotti, le storie dei clienti e gli ultimi approfondimenti del settore.
Post del blog
LinkedIn Live: spunti per coltivare l'agilità in azienda
Steve Goldberg, esperto di ricerca e analisi in ambito Human Capital Management, e Jennifer Borun, Direttrice senior e Analista in ambito relazioni e coinvolgimento strategico, si sono confrontati in un LinkedIn Live sugli approcci da adottare per aiutare la propria azienda a risolvere i problemi all'orizzonte e imporsi in un mercato dominato dalla volatilità.
Post del blog
Colmare il gap di fiducia sulle competenze
Dai primi mesi del 2020 molte cose sono cambiate, ma molte altre sono rimaste tali e quali.
Strategies and Tools for Driving Learner Engagement
Many organizations are prioritizing learning to attract, retain, and grow top talent, but implementing the strategies at the right time for the right learner can be tough. Doing it with tight resources, even tougher. Andersen Corporation has experienced this. They knew it wasn’t enough to follow the standard “if you build it, they will come” mentality for learning.