Team Rubicon Repurposes Veterans' Valuable Skills for Disaster Response with Cornerstone OnDemand
March 10, 2016
Team Rubicon Repurposes Veterans'
Valuable Skills for Disaster Response
with Cornerstone OnDemand
Cornerstone’s cloud-based software automates Team Rubicon’s operations and facilitates critical training and knowledge sharing, helping veterans reintegrate into civilian life through a shared mission of disaster response
SANTA MONICA, Calif. — March 10, 2016 — Cornerstone OnDemand (NASDAQ:CSOD), announced today that Team Rubicon, a nonprofit organization committed to repurposing the skills of military veterans for disaster response, is using Cornerstone’s cloud-based talent management software to manage thousands of volunteers across the world. Cornerstone’s software allows the organization to better prepare its volunteers for disaster response deployments with critical training and engagement opportunities. With Cornerstone’s talent management software, Team Rubicon has effectively modernized and improved its disaster response process, allowing the organization to provide aid to more people in a shorter amount of time.
Team Rubicon was founded in 2010 by two former Marines, Jake Wood and William McNulty, in the wake of a 7.0 magnitude earthquake that shook Haiti. Wood and McNulty knew the skills they acquired in the military made them uniquely capable of helping those affected by disasters. They soon realized giving veterans the opportunity to join a new mission of disaster response was also fostering a sense of purpose, community and identity that most were missing after leaving the military.
Continued service with leading technology
With a membership base of nearly 35,000 and only 55 full-time staff, Team Rubicon needed an advanced cloud-based technology solution to efficiently manage and train the hundreds of new volunteers joining the organization every week. Team Rubicon’s process was highly manual, time-consuming and not scalable for the rapid growth they were experiencing
In 2014, Team Rubicon received an invitation from the Cornerstone OnDemand Foundation to participate in its Strategic Partner Program, which provides nonprofits working in disaster relief, education or workforce development with access to Cornerstone’s software and consulting services. That same year, Team Rubicon implemented Cornerstone Learning, Cornerstone Connect and Cornerstone Extended Enterprise, and has since seen remarkable improvements across the board. In 2015 alone, with the help of Cornerstone, Team Rubicon deployed more than 1,300 veterans to 35 domestic and three international operations totaling more than 75,000 hours of on the ground disaster response. Cornerstone has also enabled Team Rubicon to:
- Deliver critical training instantly to volunteers in any location. Team Rubicon adds a few hundred volunteers every week. To prepare these volunteers for disaster response, they are immersed in organizational and cultural training from the moment they sign up through Cornerstone's online learning management system (LMS). Completed trainings and certifications are tracked through the LMS so Team Rubicon can ensure their volunteer base is ready for immediate deployment when disaster strikes.
- Reduce individual volunteer recruiting and coordination time from four hours to two minutes. What used to take hours for Team Rubicon to manage a volunteer’s location, find their airport code, deliver training and certify background checks, now only takes two minutes with Cornerstone. This process automation has not only had a positive impact from an administrative and logistics perspective, but it has also allowed Team Rubicon to grow its volunteer base without adding resources.
- Improve the volunteer experience through better communication and knowledge sharing. Team Rubicon uses Cornerstone to create open lines of communication and help build a strong sense of community among its volunteers. Through Cornerstone, Team Rubicon can quickly communicate with its thousands of volunteers and, similarly, volunteers can connect with each other to share insights, ask questions and socialize.
- Track and maximize participation. Cornerstone enables Team Rubicon to track volunteer participation in engagement and readiness events and trainings. This helps the organization build a sense of purpose, community and identity that so many are missing after military service.
Comments on the News
"One of our guiding principles at Team Rubicon is collaboration, and we foster collaborative relationships with companies like Cornerstone to strengthen our ability to help those in need,” said Jake Wood, co-founder and CEO of Team Rubicon. “When it came to training and managing logistics, we knew we needed a leading technology solution that pushed the boundaries and could help us scale. But what was more important to us was finding a company that perfectly aligned with our core mission, a company that would do everything possible to help us achieve that mission, and we found that in Cornerstone."
"Team Rubicon’s mission is unlike that of any other organization. We’re so honored to work alongside a nonprofit that makes such a positive impact in the lives of our military veterans and the lives of those affected by disasters, and to support the advancement of disaster response with our technology,” said Adam Miller, founder and CEO of Cornerstone OnDemand.
- To learn more about how Team Rubicon is using Cornerstone's software to help train and manage military veterans for disaster relief missions, visit: www.cornerstoneondemand.com/clients/team-rubicon.
- Read additional commentary by Cornerstone's vice president of global client success, Chris Stewart, on how Team Rubicon helps military veterans reintegrate through continued community service via the Cornerstone blog, ReWork: www.cornerstoneondemand.com/rework/team-rubicon-where-skills-veterans-meet-needs-world.
- For more information about Cornerstone's unified talent management software, visit: www.cornerstoneondemand.com/products.